I was suspended from work on 3-1-18. I arrested a shoplifter…

Customer Question
I was suspended from...

I was suspended from work on 3-1-18. I arrested a shoplifter and had to use necessary force. Two days before incident I was going to whistle blow on them not paying employees. I was injured during the apprehension on 2-27-18 and was suspended on 3-1-18. Now they want a statement from me after I was suspended when I asked about my status. I was never in the wrong. 24 years experience.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California. They never gave me a date when to contact on the suspension.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I arrested a susupect so there is a police report.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was injured in the store in January. I filled out thru email my injury. Company never responded to my claim.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks for providing this information; I'm not sure what specific questions you had for me about this though.

Do I write the statement after I was suspended

I see. So, what statement do they want? Do they just want to know the extent of your injuries or what happened with the shoplifter?

What happened with the apprehension. But they asked for it after I was suspended and it has been 12 days of suspension. They should of asked for my statement and then suspended me that is how normal people do it.

I understand. So, they should have asked for the statement around the time it happened so it could still stay fresh in your mind, but I suppose that is not how they conduct business generally. If you are still employed, and if they require a statement, you'll still have to provide it; however, it won't infringe on your wage claim that you may have. Have you filed for worker's compensation as a result of your injuries?