I have a signed notarized Power of Attorney for my father.

He has been in contact...
I have a signed notarized Power of Attorney for my father. He has been in contact with an attorney reference lease negotiations but is wanting me to take over in dealings with all parties concerned. There is no signed contract agreement between my father and this attorney. He simple represented my father 3 years ago on another lease which was completed with full payment to this attorney. Today I spoke with the attorney and advised we will be terminating our working relationship and asked for an itemized accounting to date so we may pay him. I forwarded the same information to him in an email and included the POA granting me this power. I asked him to direct any and all documents to me as we would be retaining new counsel and I asked him to desist in any contact with my father. He became insolent and insisted he needed to speak to my father to make certain I was not coercing him into this move. Is this his right? Can he legally go against my wishes as his legal agent in contacting my father? This has been extremely difficult on my 91 year old father and this attorney continues trying to "work" my father by appealing to his southern gentlemanly character.
3/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Yes, he legally can confirm with dad that dad wishes for you to act on his behalf. He wouldn’t be doing anything wrong by double checking. Some would argue that due diligence requires that he do this… That being said, you can certainly be part of the conversation if your dad wants you to be there

Even though no signed agreement to represent? I am so concerned this man is going to badger my father and "guilt" him into staying with his representation. Is a three way call between the attorney, my father and myself to allow the attorney to confirm my father's wishes? That way I can end the call if the attorney pushes the issue
What if my father is telling me he does not wish to talk to the attorney?
The relationship is between your father and the attorney so the attorney is at least permitted to verify that your father wants to have communications funnel through you.
that’s exactly why you would do a three-way call :-)There’s nothing restricting you from being part of the conversation as long as your dad is OK with it.
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Thank you for clarifying and confirming I am not being unreasonable in wanting to protect my father. This has all be so draining on him and my primary concern is for his health and protecting his inheritance and yes, obviously mine as well. Thanks again for your help