I would like to know if the following is a legal and binding…

Customer Question
Hello, I would like...

Hello, I would like to know if the following is a legal and binding agreement. I signed a sheet of paper that is titled "Contract Agreement & Authorization", It states the following. I hereby contract Rapid Construction & Contracting, LLC to serve as my preferred contractor on the above referenced property regarding the above mentioned insurance claim & address This agreement give Rapid Construction & Contracting, LLC, authorization to work with the above insurance company to negotiate and finalize the correct scope of work and pricing that should be provided to the insured/property owner. By execution of this agreement, Rapid Construction & Contracting, LLC, agrees that at no time will the insured/property owner be obligated to pay more than the insurance proceeds, unless it is an ACV policy, and the insured/property owner agrees to use Rapid Construction & Contracting, LLC if this agreement is not executed as stated above. If the insurance company denies the claim, then this agreement becomes null and void. The insurance company paid the claim and from what I can tell, it is an ACV policy. My home owners insurance company sent out their insurance adjuster, he filed the report and the insurance company sent me (and mtg company) a check. In the mean time, I got a bid from another contractor. Now Rapid Construction & Contracting wants to see the insurance report with the insurance payout information. I did not show the insurance paperwork to the other contractor and to be fair want bid from Rapid C & C without showing them the insurance paperwork. So far, they have not provided a bid. Therefore, back to my original inquiry, I would like to know if the following is a legal and binding agreement. Thank you very much for your time and review of this matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To who?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No.that is all of it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: DanLegal, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - The short answer is yes, that is a legal and binding agreement. Did RCC meet with the insurance provider and actually do work?

RCC met my insurance adjuster who came to the house to survey the damage. RCC followed the adjuster around as he was accessing the damage. No work has been done yet. I am waiting for the insurance funds to be released by my mortgage company.
No thank you, ***** ***** call necessary. thank you.

I'm sorry, the site requests phone calls - There are these types of companies all over the country. They operate by "negotiating" with the insurance company and then their bid is for the amount of the claim. Under the contract their is usually a penalty of 33% of the amount of the total claim if you choose to use a different company. However, generally speaking the company with that type of contract will match any other bid as they don't want to lose the work. Additionally, if the other company comes in significantly cheaper, there can be an issue with the contract as a whole. But, the "work done" from their end is to negotiate and work with the insurance company.

I hope this answers your question concerning the contract and how it operates - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars