I sent you some additional questions for you to answer

Customer Question
Dan, I sent you some...
Dan, I sent you some additional questions for you to answer please regarding the roofer. Joyce
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: DanLegal, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

I just got this thread - but no additional questions

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the first roofer cannot match what is being offered by the second, will they get me off the hook? Also I only signed it last week, what is the time I have to cancel it? I have not had an appointment to discuss the job regarding shingles yet. They did not give me a copy of the contract, isn't that illegal? Can they and do you think they would try to get the 35% how would they go about doing that?

Without seeing the contract I can not give you an answer with certainty - but if they do not match the second bid, generally speaking that will not get you off the hook for the contract. The standard terms to back out of those types of contracts would be prior to them doing any negotiations with the insurance company. After they met with the insurance company they will claim that they are the reason you got a claim amount. I am shocked that you did not receive a copy of the contract - but that is not illegal per se. My experience with these companies they would for sure go after that money. They would put a lien on your property for the amount.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
waiting for your answer

did you receive my answer? I posted a few min ago.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
H yes, I got a phone call. I never got a quote from he so there can't be a contract without a quote. He never was privileged to see the insurance company's quote. So my thinking is how can you break a contact that has no date or dollar amount.

Under that theory there is no "consideration" but I do know that under those types of contracts they are enforceable because the dollar amount is not specified until the insurance claim is complete.

I am happy you were able to speak to someone regarding this issue - I would be very cautious by trying to break the contract under that theory.

If there is nothing else I can help you with can you please rate my answer - please message me if you have additional questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Lancaster, PA where are you from? My friend tells me to have no contact with them and send a letter saying I am not preceding with the roof repair and no longer need your services.

Contract law is generally the same everywhere. Without seeing your contract specifically I can not tell you what the penalty is for breaking the contract.

DanLegal
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer