I signed a lease on November 16th 2016 for a period of 14…

I signed a lease...

I signed a lease on November 16th 2016 for a period of 14 months but in the agreement the it also says until May 2018 (see attached). I gave notice to vacate on April 5th but the leasing company said I need to stay in the property until the end of May or loose my $5100 deposit. We are going by the 14 month statement and he is going by the May 2018 statement. Who is right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Tenancy Address_______996 Hildebrand Circle, Folsom, CA 95630_______________________________
2. TERM OF TENANCY: Tenant agrees to rent for a minimum of 14 months and 9 days from November 23, 2016 thru May 31,
2018, at a rental rate of $2,595.00 a month for 14 months and 9 days. Thereafter, this Rental/Lease agreement will become a month-tomonth
tenancy, based upon the same terms and conditions stated herein, and will continue at $2,695.00 per month unless modified in
writing
3. BEGINNING DATE OF TENANCY: November 23, 2016 . Unless this tenancy is
terminated earlier due to violation by the Tenant - including the Tenant’s visitors, guests, family members and/or invitees - of any
specified incurable covenant as described in this Rental Agreement, or violation of a curable covenant after appropriate notice has
been given to the Tenant, or any other legally permissible reason, this tenancy shall continue for 14 months and 9 days then continue
on a month-to-month basis until either party shall terminate the tenancy by giving the other a written thirty (30) day notice of intent to
terminate tenancy; no

3/13/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

In a lease situation, any conflicts are resolved against the person who prepared the lease. So any disputes about the duration would go in favor of the tenant here if the landlord prepared the lease.

.

14 months and 9 days from November 23 puts the expiration date around the end of January 2018/beginning of Feb 2018.. So nowhere near May... that would make it an 18 month lease..

.

So the landlord made the mistake here and your lease would have expired at the end of January/first of Feb.

.

After that time, you are month to month and can terminate the tenancy with a written 30 day notice at any time.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney