I had a roofer come by and exam my roof and tell me I would…

I had a roofer...

I had a roofer come by and exam my roof and tell me I would qualify for a new roof with my insurance. When the estimator came by with him he asked me to sign an agreement or contract that they would do the work. After I received my estimate from the insurance company I asked him for a quote on his work. He said there is no quote that he would do the work for what the insurance company estimated. I received a referral for another company and had them do an estimate. They are doing a better job, a 50 year roof and better insulation and replacing all the gutters with gutter guard for less money. I would have had to pay out of pocket for those extras. Can I break the contract with the first company. There was no work done, the only time he has invested is his coming to my property and on his own examine my roof, then the second time with the insurance agent. What are my rights and what would I own the company if I cancelled the contract. It was last week that he was by and i singed it. thanks Joyce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

3/13/2018
DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - I'm sure your contract speaks to what happens when you break the contract. Is there a termination clause in the contract? Generally towards the end.

I do not know, he did not give me a copy of it and I never got to fully read it. He told me it was simply agreeing that if the insurance co. agreed to pay for the roof that his company would get the job. He never gave me an estimate so he will profit the difference from the estimate and what it cost his company to do the roof. I am getting so much more with the other company.
I do not agree to the additional amount of $59 I did not see that do please text my answer

Unfortunately, these types of companies exist all over the country. They will "negotiate" with the insurance companies to take the burden off you. When there is a claim they will be the ones to do the work and make the most money they can. Almost all these companies have a clause in the contract that states if you do not choose to go with them - they are owed 33% of the claim price.

The website prompts phone calls - it is not up to me to request that

However, you should be able to negotiate with the contracted company to do work similar to the second company you spoke with.

I sent you two more questions, please come back and answer.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten any additional questions. You will have to rate this question then I can get additional - can you please rate this answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Lawyer