I have a question about small claims court. I own a retail…

I have a question...

I have a question about small claims court. I own a retail clothing business and we did business with a personal shopper in massachusetts. He agreed to purchase 3 suits from us for his clients after we sent him some try on suits. He kept the three he agreed to buy and mailed back the other suits. It has been months since the invoice was due and no payment or communication from him

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And can you tell me what's been officially filed?

Our business in located in Pennsylvania. The suits were mailed to Massachusetts. We have not officially filed anything yet. The client has one day left to pay his invoice

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We notified the client that if his invoice is not paid by end of business tomorrow that legal action will begin to collect the amount owed. Other than that nothing has been filed.

3/13/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is your specific legal question?

First would be is this something that could be settled in small claims court? The amount is about $2300. If so would we file in our locality or the clients?

You would need to file where the defendant is, so the court would have personal jurisdiction.

The limit to file in PA is $12,000.

Even if it was a business transaction with us in PA and then sent FedEx to the defendant in Mass?

Sorry. Had that backwards. You need to file where the defendant is located. If it is MA, then that is where to file and the limit in MA small claims is $7000.

This is, of course, presuming there is not a written agreement specifying PA as the choice of forum.

Are you still online with me?

Hi yes I am. The only agreement was through email that we would send him suits to have his clients try on and choose. We agreed that whatever suits his clients wanted he would pay for and FedEx back the rest.

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, since this is an isolated transaction, it is not likely the long arm statute would impose personal jurisdiction over the defendant in PA. So, MA would be the place to file.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney