I had shoulder surgery doctor let me go back to work light…

I had shoulder surgery...

I had shoulder surgery doctor let me go back to work light duty superviser put me in situations that interfered with my healing HR has put me on long term disability can't go back until I can do my job fully I know have numbness in my arm down to the fingers headaches what can be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Orgegon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have my union involved this is not a workmen comp

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Like what?

3/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sure review

Thanks so much for you patience.

I’m sorry to hear about your situations. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, employers are required to provide their employees with reasonable accommodations. According to the U.S. government:

“A reasonable accommodation is any change or adjustment to a job or work environment that permits a qualified applicant or employee with a disability to participate in the job application process, to perform the essential functions of a job, or to enjoy benefits and privileges of employment equal to those enjoyed by employees without disabilities.”

An employer also cannot take negative employment action against an employee for asserting their ADA rights. During an application for a job, an employer can ask if you can perform the duties of the job with or without reasonable accommodation, but they can’t ask you about your disability. An employer can refuse to hire if the nature of the disability would pose an objective and unreasonable risk to the employee or others.

If an employee feels as if they have been discriminated against, then they can file a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one.

In your case, it is possible that you were discriminated against because of your disability. The reason I say this is because they didn't seem to provide you reasonable accommodations to help you deal with your healing.

In addition, if there is any additional harm, then you could sue your employer for negligence or file a worker's compensation claim if the injury was made worse by the employer's actions.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Phone call session started

Hello! I see that you requested a phone call. That’s great news! I have just one caller ahead of you, but you will be live on the phone with me in about 30 minutes.

This to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination which is prohibited under state and federal law at 42 USC 2000e-2. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within usually 300 days. The Counselors must advise individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local EEO office so check that out.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request)
Good morning thank you for the advise myself and two union reps talked with HR i asked for my job back and back pay from when they put me on long term disiablity i have been released fuul duty fours a day for two weeks there letting me come back another area and instead of starting at 630am i start 5pm in a different area with more floors on my job i have two floors just wanted to give you an up date and thank you again for your patients and beinging so kind hope you have a great day

I'm so glad to hear about that. I'm glad that you advocated so well for yourself. Best of luck to you!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer