If we have an employee who has previously worked in a sex…

If we have an...

If we have an employee who has previously worked in a sex industry and has spoken openly about it besides reprimanding the employee can we have them sign a a no law suit agreement that they can't sue for sexual harassment from people talking about that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

"at will" part time

3/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

take your time and let me know if you need any clarification of the situation

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is no; having the party sign something saying that they waive their rights to a sexual harassment lawsuit would be ignored by both the EEOC and a federal court if this person decided to bring a lawsuit based on sexual harassment or discrimination. In addition, if there is an employee that is uncomfortable with the sex talk, they can file a sexual harassment lawsuit anyway, obviating anything that you had the former sex industry employee sign.

In this case, if you're concerned about this, your best bet is going to be a change in the policy at the place of employment. You can say specifically that this kind of talk may lead to an issue of sexual harassment and that because the law requires a place to be free of sexual harassment, an employee who continues to speak about this may be reprimanded. Doing this may not be popular, but believe me when I say that it will cost you less to do that than it will to fight a sexual harassment claim or deal with an EEOC investigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

can we "let" said employee go or would that be considered discrimination?

Good question. I think if you let the employee go, it could actually be on the grounds that their work in the sex industry previously is leading to a workplace environment that is sexually harassing or discriminatory. This is a legitimate reason to let someone go and it is how many people as of late (e.g. Matt Lauer at NBC) have been let go as well.

Did you have any other questions for me about this today?

great thanks.. thats all i needed

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer