Formerly drew widows benefits from my husband. Later had it…

Customer Question
Formerly drew widows benefits...

Formerly drew widows benefits from my husband. Later had it changed over to my own account. I have recently been told that I should be drawing both. Want to know if this is true.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Don't understand question.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

T​hats not true. You can pick the higher of both but you cannot draw but one check here. You can make appointment if you need to check which has higher benefit. You elect to see which is better for you but you only get one whichever that is.Social security will pay you the higher of the two.

I appreciate the chance to help you today. If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.