How many days do I have to serve my husband our divorce

Customer Question
How many days do...

How many days do I have to serve my husband our divorce papers

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I filed in january my 61 cool off period ends on the 19th of this month which is next week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I got all my paper work done on Divorce writers.com and I'm just lost on what I have to do next

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Michael Bradley

has he been served with anything yet?

no.
Will my divorce be finalized if I serve him the papers a week before my court date ?

The Petitioner (the person initiating the divorce) must give legal notice to the Respondent (spouse). This means that one of the file-stamped copies of the petition for divorce must be delivered to your spouse. There are a couple of methods of proving to the judge that you provided notice to your spouse:

Official Service in Person

You can hire an official process server or constable to give legal notice to the Respondent (your spouse) in person. After your spouse has been served you will receive a Return of Service from the process server/constable that is filed with the clerk to prove that your spouse received a copy of the Petition.

Waiver of Service

• If the Respondent doesn't want to have a process server or constable serve/deliver the Petition for Divorce, the Respondent can simply sign a waiver of service in front of a notary. This will let the court know that they received a copy of the Petition for Divorce and thus have been informed of the divorce.
  • Avoid giving your spouse the Waiver of Service until you have filed your Original Petition for Divorce with the court.
  • If the Respondent doesn't want to waive their right to contest the divorce, they can file a Response (aka Answer or General Denial) instead.

Response/Answer

• The filing of an Answer by the Respondent lets the court know that the Respondent has received notice of the divorce and is actively participating in the case and may contest the terms of the divorce.
  • The Answer alone doesn't assert any claims against the Petitioner. To make claims against the Petitioner, the Respondent has to file a Counter Petition for Divorce.
  • The spouse that files the Answer does not have to go to court and it does not necessarily mean that the case is contested.

Important Reminders

• This Return of Service form must be filed with the district clerk to show the Court that your spouse has received legal notice of the divorce case.
  • If the Respondent fails to file an Answer by the Monday following the 20th day after receipt of legal notice, the Petitioner can request a default judgment and the Court can award a divorce to the Petitioner without the Respondent signing off.
  • Your divorce can only be finalized after 60 days from the day you filed the petition for divorce but the 60 day waiting period can be waived due to domestic violence.

are they willing to waive any time requirements?