My son is 25 years old and planning to travel to Canada next…

My son is 25 years...
My son is 25 years old and planning to travel to Canada next month. He read something that says he will not be allowed into Canada because he had a misdemeanor charge (DUI) in November 2015, and should be finished with probation in a month or so. Is any part of this correct?Just to mention, his passport that was issued when he was a minor has expired, so he is applying for a new one.
3/13/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately that is correct and many people are not aware of the restrictions.

It comes down to the specific border patrol agent and whether they will allow admissions. If it is a single incident and many years ago the agent may allow entry however there is no guarantee.

It is possible to secure permission in advance by requesting authorization; please see:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html?utm_source=slash-eta_ave&utm_medium=short-url-en&utm_campaign=eta

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow....just had no idea. Thank you so much! Really appreciate the link, too!

You are most welcome; thank you for the positive rating-take care!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer