My boyfriend is in prison right now for attempt armed

My boyfriend is in...

My boyfriend is in prison right now for attempt armed robbery. He was sentenced to 4 years, serving 50% but before he went to jail he was on house arrest for 5 months.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Chicago,IL is where he got the case, but hes serving time in Lincoln,IL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Meaning what exactly im sorry

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would also like to know how parole works.. his earliest parole date is April 15 2019

3/13/2018
Jonathan Holson

Parole is generally like probation. When someone is on parole there are conditions that they must follow. Those conditions can include remaining law abiding, abstaining from use of drugs/alcohol, random urine testing, maintaining employment, etc. If the person on parole fails to follow those conditions, they can be subject to a parole violation hearing and be sent back to prison to serve some or all of their remaining time in custody. How long they serve on a parole violation depends on the type of violation that occurs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok my next question is, is there a possibility that he could get good time credit? my main question is, the parole date that he has is that the final break down with the sentence actually being 4 years and then the time served being deducted?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He told me the counselor at the prison told him he may not qualify for good time because of some old charges he had in another state.. does charges from two different states affect his good time where he's at now?

Inmates are generally entitled to "good time" credit; however that depends upon their behavior while they are in prison. The projected parole date appears to take into consideration his good time as well as his jail credit. That date can change depending on his behavior while he is in prison. I am unaware of if Illinois can use charges/behavior from out of state as a basis to deny good time. That would surprise me and I have never heard of that occurring in Minnesota where I practice law.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, yes that surprised me also when he told me that. Is there a certain amount of time the inmate have to be at a prison to accumulate good time? He stated approximately 9 months where he's at until he would qualify for good time. But September 18th of 2017 when he went to court and got arrested. He went from cook county for a 3 weeks and to stateville for about 2 weeks and has been at the prison hes at now everysince. He was transferred there on October 26 th..he's gotten minor tickets from them, and some were dismissed. Would those interfer with his good time?

I can't speak to Illinois, but my experience is that you are constantly earning good time while you are in custody. For example, in Minnesota, inmates are entitled to good time on any sentence that is 10 days or longer. The calculation here is that an inmate serves 2/3 of his sentence. So on ten days, they serve 7 in custody. There is so "waiting period" before they start earning good time. The same is true of prison sentences as well. So if an inmate is ordered to serve 18 months, they would serve an actual 12 months assuming they don't get in to trouble while they are in prison. There isn't some time frame when they aren't getting that good time credit.

Jonathan Holson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you for your help.
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson
Jonathan Holson