I was contacted yesterday by a collection agency regarding…

Customer Question
I was contacted yesterday...

I was contacted yesterday by a collection agency regarding an account from years ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

OH

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. He's threatening me with a judgement and wage garnishment if I don't pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He claims the total amount owed is 6700 the amount discharged in 2012 was around 2900

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There is more information I have to share about this

It sounds like the claim could still be within the statute of limitations of six years. Are you denying you owe the debt or just the amount of it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I'm not denying that I owe it. It's probably correct that it's mine.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's just that when I spoke with him yesterday, I offered 1500 to settle and he turned it down saying that wasn't enough. then today, he called again and said that 1500 would clear the debt.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure I trust him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I don't want to have a judgement or garnishment either.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He provided me with an account number and a phone number. Which I didn't call. He told me today that If I had called that number it would have established ownership of the account and he could proceed with the judgement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can come up with the 1500 if I have to, I just want to make sure this doesn't turn into something more.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to call him back this afternoon and let him know if I will pay.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he also emailed me a docusign email for an offer in compromise agreement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The document he sent me yesterday says I will pay 2500, not 1500 as we discussed today
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should I pay 1500 if he will accept it to clear the account?

Hold, please while I read what you wrote...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay

Collection agencies are willing to negotiate because filing the lawsuit cost time and money. An agreement could be revised to reflect the negotiated amount. The agreement should have "release" terms so the debtor is released from all liability; so that language must be in the agreement. Also, it would be nice to have documentary evidence that the collector actually owns the date or represents the creditor if you are wary that the collector actual represents the creditor.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney