Can apartment owners wait until you are in the office to…

Hi, can apartment owners...

Hi, can apartment owners wait until you are in the office to sign the lease, to tell you about another fee? I asked mine to tell me all of the 'hidden' fees up front and they did- but then I got the lease and they have tacked on another $60. I have a budget. I can't afford surprises.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just picked up my lease and read it. So no...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not signed it

3/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This seems like an issue of unfair business practices which could give you some compensation if you were to bring a lawsuit.

1.To establish that there was an unfair practice, there must be a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer;

2. The representation is examined from the perspective of a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances; and

3. The representation, omission or practice must be material enough to affect the consumer’s conduct or decision, even though no actual reliance is required.

You may not want to consider a lawsuit at this stage as there are often government and non-profit resources that may help. You may want to consider your state’s BBB chapter or the state Attorney General’s office. Both of those organizations are dedicated to fighting fraud by businesses and if you run through the analysis above, then they can probably provide more help. Plus, the industry that you are thinking of challenging here may be governed by specific rules in your state and it could trigger a broader investigation by the government as well.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
I thought it sounded unfair too. I just wanted to know if I was ignorant about the process. Thank you for your help!