I am a travel agent. I booked 2 clients on a Viking River…

Customer Question
I am a travel...

I am a travel agent. I booked 2 clients on a Viking River Cruise under their first and last names as they appear on their passports. Their passports also indicate a middle name. Is it absolutely necessary that their airline tickets show their middle names? Viking River Cruises is going to charge $350 to change their ticket if the middle name is necessary; however, they said they could add the middle name in a "conversation" section of their reservation without any charge. Can they get through TSA with passports and tickets showing only 1st and last names?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

They reside in NM; however, the state from which they will be departing is Texas (DFW airport.) They will be flying from DFW to Washington Dulles (IAD) to Brussels, Belgium (BRU) and Prague, Czech Republic (PRG). On the return, they depart Budapest, Hungary (BUD) to Brussels (BRU) to Chicago (ORD) and then DFW again. I also plan to call the airline to have them add the middle name to the information in their records.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have talked to Viking, but wanted to get information from TSA before I called their air department.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thank you, no. I just want to know if a first name and last name matching the passport are sufficient without the middle name. Incidentally, one of the two women signed her passport with only the first and last name. The other signed with all 3 names.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

According to the TSA while the names are ***** ***** identity papers exactly, the exclusion of a middle name will not invalidate the ticket; please see:

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/05/15/whats-name

The purpose is to make matching names on the no fly list more precise.

Each airline has their own policy as well so that would need to be verified with the individual airlines.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.