I am unisured and I had backed into a driver that was behind…

I am unisured and...

I am unisured and I had backed into a driver that was behind me. Since I'm unisured, I had offered to pay their insurance deductible but the driver decided not to file a claim. The driver wants me to cover the damages for the bumper which is fair. Now, I get a call regarding a claim was reported on my policy. The driver told me to ignore those phone calls from the insurance adjuster. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from being taken advantage of? I will add that this is my only incident I've been in.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The only infprmation that I know of is a claim was reported on my policy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A police wasn't filed at the time of tge incident and this happened February 8th.

3/13/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Messaging will work for now.

Be aware, if you are legally at fault, you owe the entire amount of the damages and even if it went through insurance, the insurer is going to come after you to recover whatever it paid out.

Because of the penalties for driving without insurance, it is probably better to settle this quietly, without the insurance company being involved.

You have a couple of choices. First, you can demand that the other driver get three estimates before you pay anything.

The other choice is to not settle and require them to sue you and prove your liability and their damages, which would probably motivate them to just put the claim through their own insurance.

Either way, if you do settle, it is very important that you get a signed release form the other party, when they are paid, so that your liability is closed out and you can not be sued.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

They have involved their insurance company but is being dishonest that they have. Even though the insurance is involved and I cover the damages, should the driver also sign something as well to protect myself?
I just wouldn't want to pay for the damages and have the insurance company telling me I owe more.

If you get a release then you will be protected from future action by the insurance company, acting on behalf of their insured.

If the insurance company pays out then you are not going to get a release unless you pay the insurer.

Okay. Thank you so much. You've been helpful.

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney