A criminal detective called and left me a voice mail to call…

A criminal detective called...

A criminal detective called and left me a voice mail to call him and then showed up at my job to talk to me. I wasn’t there as I am working in another office in a different state. I called him back and got his voice mail and left a message. What do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not totally sure.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex mother in law is trying to accuse me of elder abuse. Im sure this is the issue

How long is wait time?
3/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok

Thanks for your patience. Generally, the wise thing to do in a situation like this is to cooperate with the detective, but also understand your 5th Amendment rights. In most cases, until you have been arrested and charged, there is nothing to worry about. For people who don't cooperate with the police, they often draw more suspicion than those who do cooperate. This is especially true if the accusations are false. One thing to remember though is that your 5th Amendment rights do not require that you incriminate yourself at all. What this means is that you can provide basic information about yourself or about the person whom the officer asks about, but if they ask you questions that may lead to your guilt, then you aren't required to answer. In addition, if there are facts or circumstances that you do not remember, you are welcome to say, "I don't recall," and you will be fine there as well. Just make sure that if you are called in for a formal interview, then be sure that you bring an attorney who will be able to help you with our rights right away.

How else can I help you today?

How will I know if there is an arrest warrant issued? If I go into the police station can they hold me?

You won't know, unfortunately, if there is an arrest warrant. If you go into the police station and you have a warrant, they can hold you. If you go in there and they have probable cause that you committed a crime, then they could hold you as well. But the thing is they could arrest you without a warrant and without you being at the police station either if they have probable cause. The key here is to not give them any probable cause by avoiding saying anything that would end up incriminating yourself. You can cooperate, but your Constitutional rights don't require you make the police's job easier.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I’ve called the detective back and left him a voice mail to return my call. Should I answer and see what he wants me to do and go from there?

Yes, I think that would be the smart thing to do; just call back and find out what information he is looking for. If it's anything beyond basic information about you, then you should end the call or tell the officer to speak with your lawyer (even if you don't have one).

Was there anything else that I can help with today?

No that is all. I guess I will start the search for a lawyer to be safe. Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thank you

You're certainly welcome!