How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 24659
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I. Been separated for over 25 years. need proof of divorce.

Customer Question

JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: been separated for over 25 years. need proof of divorce.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: i think my ex did . he lives in California. I live in louisianna for over twenty years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need proof of divorce for legal purposes
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

I understand. What state did you get divorced in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just need to file the right paperwork so I can get a cange on my s.s #
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

I see. What state did you get divorced in? Do you remember?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

Good news. Ok, so what you would need to do is you would need to contact the family courthouse where the divorce was entered. For example, if you got divorced in Los Angeles, County, the family courthouse where the judge entered the action will still have a record of your final divorce order. You or a friend can either go down to the courthouse or access their website to purchase a copy. There is usually a small fee for copies of orders, oftentimes under $5. You just need to give them your name and they can run a search, or in some courthouses you can run the search yourself on a self-service computer, it really depends on the specific county, but the court clerk should be the one to manage this for you. Once you have the copy, you can give it to the SSA.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Tried that, it was too long ago
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, the only way that you can get a copy of any records is to either a) check your own records; b) contact your former spouse; or c) get the information from the courts. Depending on how much money you are willing to spend, you may be able to hire a private investigator to find these records. Because they are public records, anyone can request them from the court and there's no prohibitions (unless a judge says otherwise). 25 years is not usually too long. Once you go back 100 years or more, records are difficult to find, but these records should be on file. What other questions did you have for me today?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Cancel my future payments
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 8 months ago.

You can always contact Just Answer’s Customer Care team by clicking here or calling them at 1-***-***-**** to cancel any future payments. But please heed my suggestions and verify my statements. Once you do that, you'll be in good shape.