I am looking for information. I have owned my home for 25yrs…

I am looking for...

I am looking for information. I have owned my home for 25yrs and married for the past 7 years. I am now on disability. My question is we are about to sign a home equity line for a new garage but he would insist to be put on the deed and I have been told by title company that I would not get alimony until we have been married for at least 10 years, is this true? He has said he wants a divorce twice in the past 7 years and then we resolve the issues but to me the third time I told him there will be no resolving I would continue with the divorce. Please help.

Lawyer's Assistant: What can you tell me about your situation?

The house is in my name only. We were married in 2011 and since that time I have had lung cancer and a piece of my lung removed in Dec of 2012. I am cancer free, but have had total knee replacement and a large back surgery in Dec of 2017. I am on oxygen 50/50 of the time. I have raised my children in this home and I could not keep it financially in a divorce without alimony. My disability is 1134.00 per month and his income is 93,000/yr. I am hoping it doesn't come to a divorce but want to be prepared if it happens again. If we sign the loan papers he is going to insist that he is on the deed, I don't blame him but I don't want to be left stranded if divorce comes up again. Before the lung cancer I was a mortgage loan officer and grossed between 35,000 and 65,000 per year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No, right now I am to emotional and really hoping for the best.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

3/13/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. What you were told, presumably by a non-lawyer, is not true. After 10 years, courts have the option generally to extend alimony indefinitely (either until the death or remarriage of the other partner) because it is considered a "long marriage," in most states. The court still has the authority to require alimony even if the marriage has been less than 10 years if it is in the interests of justice for them to do so.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You, ***** ***** afraid by putting him on the deed he would have full rights to the property and I would not receive any alimony if the situation occured.

You're welcome. If he is on the deed, then that property is going to be considered a part of the marital estate, eligible for division at divorce; however, it won't affect your alimony.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer