I am facing an eviction due to non-payment of rent (many…

I am facing an...

I am facing an eviction due to non-payment of rent (many reasons as to why I can not pay, low income and my x husband does not pay child support as he should). What are my rights as a tenant? I am 10 months behind in rent and have tried everything to get current

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

MA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, I received a 14 day quit notice yesterday from a Constable I spoke to their representing attorney who said if I don't pay what is owed I will have to appear in court in April

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I have low income, no child support, and should not be facing this on my own as my x husband rents a 3-bedroom home comfortably

3/13/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. What rights are you referring to? I am surprised you have resided there for 10 months without paying rent and they have not started the process sooner.

Unfortunately I will need to log back on after 5pm today or after 2pm tomorrow - I have to get on a conference meeting soon for work which goes until 5pm. Thoughts?
I know - the landlord has been understanding since my situation was in court (divorce) for many months with no resolution
I have no rights correct? I just need to know if I have a leg to stand on or not

from a legal standpoint, there is a legal obligation to pay the rent owed and agreed to. Even though you have an Ex who is failing to pay according to the divorce decree, it is not a legal defense to remain and not have to pay rent. You can go after him and the money which is owed but that is unrelated to your lease agreement and if you do not pay, upon their demand, they can proceed and evict.

The process could take a few weeks and if you remain after the eviction is ordered, the Sheriff could come by and remove you at that point, with a court order.

ok

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney