I have one problem just I move from apartment we’re a live…

Hi. I have one...

Hi. I have one problem just I move from apartment we’re a live for three years. The was have problem in the walls. In winter time they have to much humidity that create mold. In the two first year a reported and they clean it but the walls still have stains for the mold. Now they want to charge me $3000 for wal damages. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No just I call for the problem

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Now they send me a notification the I have to paid $3000

3/13/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did they keep any deposit for the alleged damages to the property?

.

Have they just sent a threatening letter or have they actually filed a lawsuit?

.

Do you have witnesses who don't live there who saw the mold?

.

Do you have proof of any reports you filed with the landlord about the problem?

.

.

thanks

They just send me threatening. And yes they keep my security deposit. And when I reported I do call. I’m not sure if there full report. About the witness I don’t have but my brother live in same building and now he have the problem with humidity and now the mold started growing

Ok, do you have pictures of the mold when it was growing?

I take some but I lost it. So no

Ok, you are in kind of a tough position because you didn't take any actions at all to document the problem...no emails, no texts, no letters, no photos... so you have no proof that there was a problem at all.. If you have a problem you have to document it so you have evidence of the problem... they could claim you are just lying and you have nothing to prove there was a problem..

.

With that said, they would have to sue you in court to force you to pay anything else and you would have to defend if they did with only your testimony that there was the mold and that is what caused the problems with the walls. If the judge believed you, then you win. If he believed the landlord, then they win..

.

But they might not want to spend the money to try and sue you if they know that they are in the wrong..

.

.

thanks

But what about the apartment were live my brother. That have same problem and is in same building

That is a completely different apartment... so it could be the only one having that problem since you have no photos of your unit with the problem.. But you could have our brother come in and testify in court that he saw your apartment and it had the same problems as his and then show pictures of his apartment as an example... assuming he has taken pictures of the problem in his apartment..

I founded. I have the pictures. I founded in all memory card. The date is Tuesday January 6/15

Ok, great... then you have proof of the conditions and now you can even file suit against the landlord for your deposit back if that is what they kept it for.. You aren't responsible for the moldy conditions as that is some issue with moisture the landlord has to deal with.

.

So you can sue the landlord in small claims court if all the charges they are claiming are related to the mold on the walls.

.

.

thanks

Thanks very much

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney