I have recently found out I have a warrant for an

I have recently found...

I have recently found out I have a warrant for an outstanding worthless check less than $50, I need to find out the limitations the check was written in 2007, courts claim I missed a court date in 2010 but I had no knowledge of the court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Louisiana I'm not sure when the warrant was issue, I am in the medical field acquired my job March 2016 and according to my job nothing was on my record so I would assume it was entered until after that, otherwise I would have never been hired

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure what that means?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure I'm clueless at this point

3/13/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Once issued, warrants unfortunately do not expire. The warrant should be dated 2010, since that's when you missed the court date. You can call the local courthouse and give them your name. They should be able to tell you the exact date it was entered, and send you a copy of any related documents. Your job wouldn't necessarily have found it, because bench warrants for missing a court date are slightly different than arrest warrants obtained by police.

Once the clerk locates the warrant, you can set a court date. At that date, you'll go in, explain that you were never notified of the original charges, and ask that the warrant be recalled. You'll be allowed at that point to either plead not guilty and request a trial on the original worthless check charge, or work out a deal with the district attorney.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney