I am the owner of a house and I think I have a renter that…

Customer Question
I am the owner...

I am the owner of a house and I think I have a renter that has trashed the yard. If I have to throw him out what are my rights and what are his?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nashville Tn.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

By chance, was there a written lease? And if so, did it permit the use of the yard? Also, did you contact the tenant about the issue to rectify the situation?

I have a contract. I have not notified him yet he's hard to catch.

Okay. Generally, a landlord can evict a tenant if the tenant is destroying or not taking care of the property subject to the lease.

It would be a notice to terminate by landlord based on damage beyond normal wear and tear to the premises by the tenant or members of the household.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

My son is his room mate, It a big nice 2800 square ft. home in a nice neighborhood. Just the two of them live their the renter brings shrimp up from the gulf. He's 4 old freezers under the car port, entire sun room has his junk. a old junkie bread truck in front yard. He called my son raising hell about a dirty dish left in the sink. He recorded the call and brought it to me. I have never heard so mush cursing, name calling and threats . We still have the recording.

Thank you for the additional information. Even if the tenant has a roommate, a landlord can still bring the proceeding against the tenant who is causing the damages beyond normal wear and tear. Obviously, leaving a dirty dish in the sink has nothing to do with damage beyond normal wear and tear. So, to compare that to leaving junk in the yard, etc. is not the same. So, an action against the tenant can still occur.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.