I have a customer threatening to sue me if I don't refund…

I have a customer...

I have a customer threatening to sue me if I don't refund their money in four (2 business) days time (today), due to them cancelling services. I'm happy to refund them, however I can't for 10 business days from today.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Nevada. They gave me a $1,000 deposit for an event we will be facilitating/managing for them. That was scheduled for 3/23/18

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I'm aware of.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure, don't think so.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Was there a signed agreement with a provision for the cancellation and refund policy?
No. I'm a new business owner unfortunately don't have all of my ducks in a row. This service was made/agreed upon verbally in a meeting.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.
Without a written agreement regarding the deposit, in the event of cancellation they are entitled to a refund. You can sue them for breach of contract and be awarded damages or, in the alternative, wait for them to sue to get back the deposit and file a counterclaim.
If you are willing to refund but can not do it for ten days then do that. There is not much they can do legally in 10 days. Anything they file, whether in court or with the attorney general will take longer to get to you than the 10 days and, by then, you can just respond the deposit was returned.
Make sure to get a receipt from them for returning the deposit.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
We agreed to do 4-quarterly events @ $1,000/event. They paid the $1,000 prior to the event due to a deposit being needed for the venue. I received the deposit on 2/13. The reason for them cancelling was due to the person I put in place to manage the event among a few other things pertinent to this client. That person had a significant personal event which required them to immediately vacate the position. I asked to postpone the event until April to which they agreed. We scheduled a meeting for Thursday afternoon and of course, I got a serious case of the flu which I'm still battling and had to reschedule the meeting. The following Friday (3/9) they demanded a refund by Today at 4pm or "...legal recourse." (If the that helps at all)
No that helps a lot! I have every intention on refunding their money as it's a headache I don't want to deal with at all. I'm just -- learning the incredibly hard way how to do this.
As I said, refund the money as soon as you . There is no legsl recourse which can be pursued successfully in 10 days.
Loren, Attorney
Thanks for your help Loren.