I was looking for the definition of liaison and it’s duties…

I was looking for...

I was looking for the definition of liaison and it’s duties according to ROberts rules

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not at this moment. I will be speaking to a board in reference to its duties

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can a citizen file an injunction pro se against a non profit corporation

3/13/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Do you mean a staff liaison? Also, what do you mean by a citizen filing an injunction? Are you saying that this person is being harmed by the non-profit?

I am a senior citizen and have been harmed by my local senior center. The city Council Board has a “liaison” (elected board member) to sit in on the Senior Center board meetings. In this case, the liaison is also the chairman of the Senior Center Board. This person was never elect d according to the Senior Center bi-laws nor was it’s Board. The bi-laws are not being followed. The senior center experienced embezzlement a few years ago and the then Mayor appointed this chairman as an acting chairman. The chairman appointed its own board and knew nothing about it’s bi-laws. I wish to file an injunction to bring attention to the egregious actions of this board. I am not the only member to experience threats, retaliation, bait and switch tactic’s. I was repeatedly told that both the City Council and the Senior Center follow Roberts Rules of Order.

Thanks for the additional information. You mention that you are a member. How do you become a member? Do you pay dues? Do the bylaws address how you could bring complaints against the board's policies? In other words, are there internal member meeting to discuss issues?

I am a member and pay dues. There is nothing in the bi-laws that addresses policies. I went to a Board meeting and asked for conduct guidelines, mission statement and stated that I had experienced transgressions and did the board want the dates and incidents. They stood up, stated they quit and left the building. Over the weekend I received a phone call from a office volunteer requesting if I could meet with the board on the next day the Center was open. I was met with a room filled with people I didn’t know. Approximately 50+/- individuals and was scorned, belittled. The meeting became obstreperous and the board went to their office after a demand that the bi-laws be produced. As a result, I lost my volunteer position, my membership cancelled without renewal, my Christmas fundraiser booth cancelled and received a no trespass order. I no longer can receive my monthly federal government commodities at the center due to the no trespass order. I am not the only person to receive this horrific treatment. There were occasional membership meetings but had ceased with no director or anyone overseeing the daily activities. There are no minutes to the Board meetings as I have requested.

That is rather an intense fact pattern of what happened to you. It sounds like you were retaliated against. Note, an injunction is to stop someone from doing something until a case is resolved. What is it you want them to stop doing?

I want the bi-laws in effect and the rights of the members reinstated. I want my reputation and dignity back.

I understand. You mentioned you received a no trespass order. Did you appear in court? Was there a hearing?

It was a hand written note that was delivered by the local police department after I was asked to leave. Which I did straight away. I reside in the county outside the jurisdiction of the local police department. Nothing was ever filed but the area legal assistance group advised me to stay away as I would be arrested and that was the Chairman of the board’s intention. I prefer to not be arrested. I wanted to correct the non-profit corporation status before I handled the no trespass order. Once light was brought on the corruption, the rest should change.

Okay. I think it is advisable for you to consult a local attorney because it is such an unusual situation. The real issue is whether as a member of the center you were given due process via the bylaws to be heard and whether the board violated any policy as to disqualify you as a member. A local attorney can review all the documents and if necessary make a demand for a copy of the bylaws prior to seeking judicial intervention.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney