My daughter, grandchildren, and son in law have been living…

My daughter, grandchildren, and...

My daughter, grandchildren, and son in law have been living in our home for two years. We definitely need our son in law to move out since he is rude, disrespective. They have not paid rent in over a year and a half. He seems tp refuse to get a job or see a Dr. for his bipolar disorder. We have given him until March 31st to move out. This was discussed in January 2018 with him. How do we get him to move out without putting our grandkids on the street?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washtenaw County, Michigan 48197

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was in a meeting with elders from our congreagation, my daughter and my husband. He picked the date of March 31st to move out. He recently has had some farm animals (urban farming) that heve been taken from him and he is waiting to hear from the prosecuter on that

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is not our intention top split up a family. However,he needs to get a job and move out and support his family. My daughter is not well and it is hard for her to work fulltime. She makes things and tries to sell them (cards, wall hangings,etc.) but that has not provided enough for them to live on. Recently they started a cleaning company but that is only two days a week, if that.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Are you willing to file an eviction proceeding against him only, meaning that your daughter and grandkids can still stay but he must leave? Is your daughter okay with that?

Probably not. She is caught in the middle of this and feels we are trying to split up the family by asking him to leave. However, How does one go about evicting someone?

Hold, please. I will check on something for you...

You would have to serve a legal notice to begin the process. If the reason to evict is due to nonpayment of rent, then the legal notice is called a 7-day Demand for Nonpayment of Rent. If the reason is for some other lease violation or because the lease or rental agreement has ended, the legal notice required by Michigan law is called a 30-day Notice to Quit. So, a written notice is required at first, then if he does not move, you would file an eviction proceeding in court.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Does it matter that there was no written agreement to begin with?

No. It does not matter. If there is no written agreement, it is considered a month to month rental.