I have a situation, where my oldest brother is texting me…

I have a situation...

I have a situation, where my oldest brother is texting me that he wants me to surrender my cats to the animal shelter, and saying that he's ready to let them go, when he hasn't even taken care of them over 10 years and I've brought the cats under my wings and provided them a home and food. I think the reason why he is saying that is because maybe he feels frustrated that his child keeps trying to touch the cat liter, when in truth the cats nor the cat liter has not done anything wrong, and my brother is turning that into a huge deal, and telling me he is willing to pay for the surrendering fee, when I specifically told him a couple times that, no, the cats have always been mine and I've taken care of them and provided food for them and taken them to the vet when they were ill or when I was concerned about their well-being. My brother also has said, through TEXT that he's not going to talk to me face-to-face if he has any issues regarding the cats if I'm still upset. I'm only upset because he didn't talk to me face-to-face and he only TEXTED the issue to me. What should I do if he tries to physically and forcefully take my cats away from me? FYI: his youngest brother, who is the owner of the current house we're living in says that he doesn't mind the cats and it's not his oldest brother's problem and only my problem, and the oldest brother is going to just have to deal with it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. Not yet. I'm not sure if my oldest brother is serious or joking.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If he can just let me know what I have to do if it really does happen. Thank you.

3/13/2018
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

Please clarify, does he live with you? If so, did you rent the place at the same time, or was one of you lviing there before the other moved in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was living there with our two brothers and our mom before he moved back in because he had a bad relationship. The youngest brother of the two who resides in the house bought the current house over 6 years ago before the oldest brother who wanted to get rid of the cats moved back temporarily until he can find a place. The oldest brother is the one who has 2 kids and a wife still living under the same household.

You were there earlier so you have every right to keep your feline companions.

No one is forcing him to live with cats, that was his choice, and you should not let anyone bully you into giving up your pets. My opinion is that he is being unreasonable and he has no legal grounds to force you to evict the cats.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He already gave up the cats to me 10 years ago, and I have told him countless time that I will not surrender the cats to the animal shelter just because he's having an issue with his child touching things they're not supposed to touch and he's starting to get fed up. His youngest brother, who is living with at the current house and owner of said house already told him that it's not his choice nor his problem and that if he has any issues he needs to come talk to me face to face instead of getting upset or angry because it can't go the way he wants to. His wife already talked to him to find a solution to block the kitchen where the cat liter is with a baby gate fence so no little toddlers can go into the kitchen, but his only solution to HIS situation that he wants is to get rid of the cats. His youngest brother already said it's not his problem nor his responsibility about the cats. I have not even consented nor said to him that it was okay to surrender the cats but he kept going on about that I, a 25 year old, need to grow up and move on and that he's ready to give the cats up when he's already given the cats up to me long time ago.

Thank you very much for the great rating!

He should thank the cats for making his child healthier, see

http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/09/study-why-dogs-and-cats-make-babies-healthier/

Maybe a self cleaning litter box will make him happier. A baby gate also sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Cats are sensitive creatures with emotions and treating them as disposable accessories would not set a good example for his child. Thank you for protecting the cats.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just in case anything does happen if my oldest brother doesn't back off for pulling a stunt like that on me and the cats, I would like to know if I need any legal proof like the cats medical vet bills, receipts from the store of their food/etc, and or proof of ownership or microchips. I just want to have proper documentations if needed in the future.

Vet records are good proof of ownership, and you can have the vet chip the cats in case they are ever taken eithout your consent.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer