Is the Orange County jail a privately own facility? I’m in…

Is the Orange County...

Is the Orange County jail a privately own facility?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I’m in Boston, I’m asking about Orange County Jail in Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I’m doing a report about jails in small towns

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How many meth cases in Orange County and the rehabilitation resources in that county, just interested in the conviction. I’m wondering if the convictions the judge gives in small towns are consistent with conviction sentences in urban citys.

8220;Indiana purposeful incarceration program” what is it and is it a privately own facility?
3/13/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes it is run by Corrections Control of America a private company.The Orange County Jail in Paoli, Orange County, Indiana, like all jails is a maximum security facility. Because the inmates in this jail range from low level offenders to those being held for violent crimes like robbery, rape and murder, the security level is as high as is it is in any maximum security state prison.

The conviction rates are going to be similar.This is a prison for maximum security prisoners, most have felonies with aggravating circumstances. This a tough place with reputed drug problems inside the prison. There have been several television news stories about problems in them.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight. Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Interesting, so it run by CCA... last question, in Indiana, what is Indian purposeful incarceration program”? Is this a private prison?

Purposeful Incarceration

Purposeful Incarceration Overview

In 2009 the Indiana Department of Correction (IDOC) began a cooperative project with Indiana Court Systems called Purposeful Incarceration (P.I.). The Department works in collaboration with Judges who can sentence chemically addicted offenders and document that they will “consider a sentence modification” should the offender successfully complete an IDOC Therapeutic community. This supports the Department and Correction and the Judiciary to get addicted offenders the treatment that they need and work collaboratively to support their successful re-entry into society.

IDOC Therapeutic Communities (TC) Overview

The IDOC currently has over 1700 Therapeutic Community (TC) beds for both male and female offenders. These Therapeutic Communities provide intensive substance abuse treatment and the core program is a minimum of eight (8) months in length. The TC’s are competency based, and some offenders may take up to a year to complete the core program. Upon successful completion participants are eligible for up to a 6 month credit time cut.

The IDOC has two different types of TC’s. One is general Therapeutic Community that serves offenders with significant abuse of any substance. The IDOC C.L.I.F.F. Units (Clean Lifestyle Is Freedom Forever) provide intensive treatment to offenders who have significant impairment as a result of methamphetamine abuse, though many of those offenders are poly substance abusers. Both programs have the same structure and core components but the CLIFF Units also utilized the Matrix Model curriculum specially designed to treat methamphetamine and cocaine addiction.

The TC’s are intensive treatment programs that hold the offenders highly accountable. Offenders earn privileges and responsibilities in the community as they progress in their recovery. The units operate utilizing Modified Therapeutic Community Model, and offenders who participate in the programs are segregated from general population offenders as much as possible. There is a strong focus on utilizing Cognitive Behavioral best practice interventions as core program components. All program curriculum utilizes evidence based material including Stanton Samenow’s “Commitment to Change; Overcoming Errors in Thinking”. Material obtained from the Bureau of Prisons and Texas Christian University Institute of Behavioral Research are also core program components. AA/NA meetings are available to offenders in the TC.

Following the intensive treatment phase, offenders continue to participate in the TC. They will continue to work on relapse prevention issues as well as work on re-entry planning for their return to the community. They also may serve as mentors and senior community members. Individualized recommendations and referrals for follow up services in the community are made for all TC graduates.

Initial outcomes indicate the Departments TC’s are having an impact on recidivism. In addition conduct violations on those units are approximately 1/10 of the of a general population unit. The TC’s are located at the follow facilities:

• Branchville Correctional Facility - 480 beds
  • Correctional Industrial Facility (Pendleton) - 124 beds
  • Plainfield Correctional Facility - 100 beds
  • Westville Correctional Facility - 440 beds
  • Madison Correctional Facility (Women) - 82 beds
  • Miami Correctional Facility - 204 beds
  • Putnamville Correctional Facility - 156 beds
  • Rockville Correctional Facility (women) - 128 beds
  • Indiana Reformatory (Pendleton) Outside Dorm (Men) - 104

Purposeful Incarceration Details

Many offenders who are sentenced to the IDOC have severe addictions that are directly related to their criminal behavior. This is often very apparent to sentencing Judges as they have often seen these individuals on numerous occasions and the addictive behavior is very apparent. PI gives the Judicial System an option to provide an offender with the opportunity to obtain the treatment they need, and support their successful re-integration into the community.

The Judges can sentence chemically addicted offenders and document that they will “consider a sentence modification” should the offender successfully complete an IDOC Therapeutic community. The Courts communicate with the IDOC that this offender is a PI offender. After entering the IDOC the offender will be placed at an appropriate facility that has a TC. If possible the individual will be placed in a TC close to their County of sentencing. In the event the offender has a meth addiction they will be placed at a facility with a CLIFF Unit if possible.

Once the offender is placed at the facility they will be assessed by the Substance Abuse staff. If they meet the substance abuse admission criteria they will be offered the opportunity to enter the Program. They must agree to adhere to all program rules and expectations and to fully participate in all program activities. If the offender refuses the Court System is notified of their refusal. If they enter the program communication is maintained with the Court regarding the offender’s progress or lack thereof. If an offender successfully completes the Judge can choose to modify the offender sentence and return them to the community early. The offender can receive treatment and be returned to the community through existing community programs such as Drug Courts, Community Transition Programs, Work Release, and other Community Corrections programs. The hope is this coordinated effort between the IDOC and the Court System will reduce recidivism and improve offender’s successful re-entry into society. Currently 17 Counties have participated on PI and referred 71 offenders.

Yes it is a private prison.In general private prisons are known to be worse that state run ones.They try to operate as cheaply as they can.

Judges can sentence chemically addicted offenders and document that they will “consider a sentence modification” ? What if the offender can pass a drug screening? Wouldn’t that show that the offender is clean and no need to go thru that program?

T​hey would require them to attend here, a clean screen would not get them off. If they complete the program they go back to judge and he can modify sentence.It is similar to juvenile boot camp where they have them complete the camp and likely get probation.It is really in their interests to go and try to get clean long term.

Interesting, so let’s say a convicted drug user that gets 15yr conviction in Indiana for meth or cocaine addiction can go through that program and completes it will get a modify sentence. Is the max time off 6months?

He might qualify for long term probation.Thats correct here.

L​et me correct here it would be six months off for doing so and it could shorten prison time.Makes him a better parole candidate.

ok... thank you for your wealth of knowledge Ray... this will complete my report on convictions of old cases that show that people who have drug cases pending but have gotten their life together and drug-free could go through that program and possibly get convictions modified

You are so welcome. Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page. Have great evening.

Will do. There was a conviction earlier this week that caught my attention
http://www.newsandtribune.com/news/update-breakaway-director-sentenced-to-years-for-old-drug-charges/article_40b2ddee-261c-11e8-9369-eb51bdbf62dd.html
I’m assuming she may be going thru this similar process that we been speaking off. Boston has a different strategy in handling drug addiction cases so seeing small towns handling drug cases has gotten my interest

Y​es this place has got real problems and these are long term serious felons so you are going to have lots of crime, some of these guys are lifers so little to loose.

I agree, but this ***** *****vingston is a little different, from my understanding she’s a recovering drug attic who later when on in life to start halfway houses and startup companies. I found a 30yr sentence was a shocking. It’s hard to ask an attic to do reasonable things when their under the influence of narcotics. In this case she was able to Recover. Even though she committed a crime years ago, 30yrs seems harsh. Perhaps the judge is a fairly new appointed judge I’m not sure? In Boston we don’t see sentences like that unless they’re mass producing and Distributing

I​ agree that's harsh.Maybe there was more here, if you have weapons and you are dealing that would make it higher felony or somebody got hurt here too.

Ray, Lawyer