I sold one house back in may,2017...before we close on that…

Customer Question
I sold one house...

I sold one house back in may,2017...before we close on that property we have received a letter from HOA saying that we have to level the driveway..we hired the contractor to get it fixed...recently the buyer asked us to do it again because the HOA did not approve it...we agreed to the buyer that we will taken care of it but we take some time...yesterday he sent me a bill for $2200 said that I have to pay him back or he will bring us to court and already hired the attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Should I pay him $2200 ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?

In Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/13/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

hi, Iam Le

Hi. Can you tell me, what are your questions regarding this matter?

I sold one house back in may,2017...before we close on that property we have received a letter from HOA saying that we have to level the driveway..we hired the contractor to get it fixed...recently the buyer asked us to do it again because the HOA did not approve it...we agreed to the buyer that wewill taken care of it but we take some time...yesterday he sent me a bill for $2200 said that I have to pay him back or he will bring us to court and already hired the attorney.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Should I pay him $2200 ?

What was the agreement? Did you agree, prior to the sale, that you would cover this cost?

we didnot sign any agreement

Sorry...that was not my question...I did not ask what you signed...

My question was did you have an agreement on this matter?

And if so, what was the agreement?

I agreed that I will fix it
i requested for some time

So you agreed with the buyer you would cover this? IF so, then they can sue you to recover the money it costs...this is basic contract law. If you had an agreement, and this was part of the agreement? They (the buyer) can enforce the agreement

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can refuse to pay and they have no recourse, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.