I just refinanced my property. I thought I had set up

Hello. I just refinanced...
Hello. I just refinanced my property. I thought I had set up autopay, but it turns out I did not. I just found out today that I was two months behind on my mortgage. I called the bank and brought the account current, but now I am terrified I am going to get a 30-day late on my credit report that is perfect thus far. Is there ANY WAY to get the bank to not report it since it was an honest mistake? I have read that Chase is unyielding with such requests.
3/13/2018
Attorney Wendy

This is a frustrating situation I am sure. I would suggest a couple things. First, make sure you are monitoring your credit report with all three credit bureaus - Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. If in another 30-days or so you do not see any notation in your credit report to this incident, it is likely they will not report it. That said, I totally understand that you are concerned. I would consider drafting a letter to them stating that you understood that you were enrolled in an autopay program but that as soon as you learned autopay was not active on your account you provided updated payment. And, then inquire if there is anything further they need to ensure you are up to date on all payments. This letter would not change whether they may report you, but it could provide a basis with the credit bureaus to reverse any negative report should on show up on your credit. I am impressed you are so conscious of this issue and do hope that no negative marks against your credit appear.

Also - and I apologize for the additional message - if you did not receive any notice of the late payment that could prevent them from reporting to a credit bureau, especially with a mortgage.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;if you did not receive any notice of the late payment that could prevent them from reporting to a credit bureau, especially with a mortgage. That might help."They said that they tried to call me, which is possible but I get so many junk calls I don't answer unknown numbers. They said that they are not allowed to leave messages. However, I did not receive any correspondence from them in the mail either. I have to own my mistake. I discovered this inadvertently but if I had known, I could have fixed it. My wife is a co-borrower with a FICO of over 800. This will damage her too, and I want desperately to prevent the bad mark.

I totally understand your situation. When you thought you set up autopay was this done by you unilaterally or was the mortgage company involved and failed to put it in place?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was my fault. My wife refreshed my memory. I made one payment online and intended to research biweekly payments. I've had mortgages for years, and I THOUGHT that I had set up the autopay (because that's what I've always done) when I saw the deduction from my account on January 3rd. I wish I could somehow blame the bank (other than them not sending me a letter).

I wish I could offer more assistance. It is difficult to remove a late mortgage payment report from a credit report but I think the fact that you are now caught up is helpful. Has the late payment shown up on a credit report? If not, it certainly can't hurt to contact the bank and ask to speak to someone about this issue. Of course, as with anything of this nature, you have the pro of being upfront and perhaps getting someone to ensure you aren't penalized or con, bringing it to their attention such that they report it now. I am surprised you didn't get some form of written notice and that may help if you have to request removal from any credit agency.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your assistance. I will try the "no written notice" approach with the bureaus, although I think they will just want me to write a statement even though nobody reads them. I DID talk to some credit bureau that the bank forwarded me to (Novis, innovis, something like that) and the person I spoke with said that as of this morning, there was nothing reported to them in terms of a late payment. I will just have to wait a month to see and go from there :(

I am so sorry for this situation. You are doing everything you should. Despite reports, I have known folks whose late payments were not reported. I will hope that ends up being the case with you.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer