I will be as brief as possible. Three years ago an attorney…

I will be as...

I will be as brief as possible. Three years ago an attorney represented / negotiated a lease for my father. The attorney was paid for his services. The original lease has expired and a new company is wanting a lease agreement with my father and he reached out to the same attorney. My father has not signed any thing regarding this attorney representing him but the attorney has done some preliminary negotiations on my father's behalf. We are now wanting to terminate our relationship and simply want to pay the attorney for his time working on this matter. Can you confirm this lawyer has no grounds to sue my father?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in California however the attorney and property involved is in West Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, it has all been back and forth between the landman and Right of way representative - preliminary negotiations

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My father has signed no documents / lease or representation agreement

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Not quite following... what would he sue dad for? Other than of course if dad doesn't pay for the prelim work I'm assuming he asked for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My father is concerned that he would sue for "breach of contract" for lack of a better description for his worry. He says he gave his word when speaking to this attorney so he apparently feels that gives the attorney a legal leg to stand on. We have tried to explain we plan on paying him for his time and services but want to discontinue working with him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you confirm that we need to send a letter dismissing him and asking for an accounting of his services so we may pay him we are then in no way obligated to this attorney any further?

You do not owe an attorney money if you ask him not to work certain hours - or more hours than you want. You can tell him to stop any time you want.

And, yes, you need to send a letter telling him to discontinue working if that's what you want - but you probably also want to tell him by phone so he doesnt work for several more days and charge you for that.

And you ARE entitled to an accounting! Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your help. Have a good day. I will be happy to complete the survey

Thanks so much for your rating! And it was my pleasure. If you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney