Can a doctor’s office disclose appointment information to…

Customer Question
Can a doctor’s office...

Can a doctor’s office disclose appointment information to someone that’s not the patient and that’s not an authorized person in the patient’s records?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I called the doctor’s office to file a complaint but the manager was not there. The nurse told an ex-boyfriend when and what time my next appointment is.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That the ex is not under my authorized users.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
No. Only to the patient or an authorized agent. Anything else is a hipaa violation. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!