I'm being charged with petty theft and embezzlement from…

Customer Question
I'm being charged with...

I'm being charged with petty theft and embezzlement from working with bed bath & beyond. The petty theft I did do and ive paid the company. I'm being charged because I was unable to pay immediately. I'm really worried I don't know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California ma'am

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean/

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

The only thing you can do if you're going to be charged with a criminal offense is to get yourself a lawyer and deal with the case. Crimes like these typically are resolved with, at worst, an offer of probation if you're inclined to cut your losses at some point along the line. And, of course, depending upon what's in the discovery material, you may even want to fight the case.

Jail's not going to be an issue so long as you show up for your court dates, unless you take this case all the way to trial and lose.

One way or the other, however, you should have a lawyer with you when you come to court on your court date. If you cannot afford a lawyer, plead not guilty when you are arraigned on your charges and ask the judge to appoint you a public defender who will take matter from there.

ive paid the store fines will i have to pay a court fine also?

The store fines are civil. Anything that happens in court will be a criminal matter. There would be court costs, but you wouldn't have to repay the store.