How do find out if you have an international arrest warrant…

how do find out if...
how do find out if you have an international arrest warrant
3/12/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I wanted to see what you mean when you refer to an "International Arrest Warrant." The reason I ask is that there is not really a recognized central authority that exists that can issue an arrest warrant and cause you to be arrested in one country and returned to another. With certain United Nations court proceedings there are sometimes warrants that could be similar to this, but generally if there is a warrant, it would have been issued by a jurisdiction in one country and the goal would be to extradite the person from another country to face the charges.

That being said, INTERPOL (an international police agency that facilitates worldwide police cooperation) has a process where notices are circulated to all of its members about different information or issues. One of the notices is a listing of individuals who are wanted to extradition from one country to another.

I ask because I wanted to make sure I was on providing you complete information.

i had been sending money to someone in nigeria to help a friend on line who told me this was her aunt (unfortunately do not know either one personaly just thru facebook kind of stupid right) friday i got a call from someone who said he was with cosumer affairs who said i had warrants for money laundering and supporting terrorism he then conected me with anoyher man in legal department who told me if i paid international taxes they could try to get the warrants unissued if i broke off ties with both people and told know one of what was going on to save embarassment i then snt 1800 to a place in maryland to i guess cover the taxes i was scared and did not know what to do i do not know if it was a scam or real they seemed to know how much i sent western union

It is my belief that someone is simply trying to scare you and threaten you to get you to pay money. It also happens that people will do the same thing and pretend to be the IRS. These kinds of scams are unfortunately all too uncommon.

Now, I do want you to know that, for the reasons I set out above, I do not have the ability to log into a special database and see if you may have any outstanding warrants, in say Nigeria. So I am unable to provide a guarantee there is not a warrant out for you in another country, but I have extreme doubts that there is. But that being said, if you did, Nigerian authorities cannot just come here and take you into custody.

To further this, if you did have warrants relating to money laundering or terrorism some federal authorities in the United States would be investigating or looking into this and the US Government does not call people and tell them they are being investigated for charges just as this and that if a certain amount of money is paid then they will go away. That just would not happen. If you were being investigated by the US Government, they would just come and arrest or question you and it would not be via phone.

While I cannot tell you that you do or don't have any arrest warrants out in other countries, I have a very strong belief that you have been targeted to further extort for additional monies. This is illegal for them to do and they could face severe penalties. I would strongly encourage you not to return calls like this, or if you do, tell them that you want to have an attorney on your behalf speak with the "representative" and that you will need their direct contact. I would be surprised if they agreed to do this as they want to attempt to scare and intimidate.

I would be very guarded about sending money like this and would tell you to also consider

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

contacting local police in the event that you are contacted again. I say this as frequently the people who are attempting to extort you are not even an another country, but often local.

Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer
ok thank you very much for your help i appreciate it

You are certainly welcome. Best of Luck!!