I just received a notice from a collection agency on a debt…

Customer Question
I just received a...

I just received a notice from a collection agency on a debt that I plan to dispute. I had a contract with a siding company and decided that I didn't want to pursue the matter at this time. Letters were sent and the financing company acknowledges that the contract was cancelled, but the siding company doesn't. They are coming after me for liquidated damages of 8k dollars tor cancelling my contract. Do I acknowledge the collection notice in 30 days. On line I read that if I do, they will assume the debt is valid. What do I do.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just got the notice and I haven't looked at my report since this weekend. I got the bill from the company on the 6th of March and the collection letter today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I mailed letters to both the company and the financing on the same day.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You want to respond by demanding written proof of the alleged debt and otherwise contesting it.

Their billing call it liquidated damages. I never select the color and they work wasn't to start 60 to 90 days out. How do I avoid damages my credit with them and I still need siding for my house.?
No ,, This way I can write it down

You can identify the violations in contesting the amount claimed. You cannot stop a credit report mark, except warning that falsely reporting it would be a violation of the fair debt collection practices act. It may deter them. Kindly let me know if that is acceptable by replying "yes"

What's next after I contest this debt?

Wait, hopefully they close the file.

Kindly rate me 5 stars on your page.

Ok. I will get started on my letter. Thank you. Will they put a lien on my house or garnish my wages?

No, they cannot do anything without a judgment.

Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Ok. Thank you.
Very welcome.