I have a question about rented housing and having my ESA.

I have a question...

I have a question about rented housing and having my ESA

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nh

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, my landlord has contacted their attorney and I've received an email from him "clarifying" things. but i disagree with what he is saying so thats why i now need legal help

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have an ESA and the landlord is trying to make me move buildings because of it. i know that is illegal.

3/12/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

what can I answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I moved into my apartment on 02/27/18 and since got a ESA (Emotional Support Animal), I got a dog. I live in a no dog building within the apartment complex, i informed my landlords that i have an ESA Dog and they have said i have to move buildings to a dog friendly building. i don't think that is right or fair. i like my apartment and i have settled in and unpacked. it would cause so much stress to re pack and move again. My wife is 20 weeks pregnant and i have an 11 month old. what they are asking is not fair.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have a letter from a doctor for my ESA

The landlord cannot discriminate or retaliate for your having the ESA. It cannot interfere with occupancy or seek to evict. If he does, you may file in court. Having the letter is important and if needed you or a lawyer may warn the landlord of your rights.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how could i get a lawyer to send an email to their lawyer telling him that because i did already tell them my rights and then they got their lawyer to contact me via email to "clarify' things. but what he was clarifying is incorrect. he says i have to move. that his client is still giving me a comparable apartment so because of that, i have no choice.

You can save the lawyer fee and e-mail him direct attaching the doctor letter and warning that if he persists you will take him to court.

If my replies are fast and acceptable, kindly reply "yes"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i attached the email from the attorney. they claim i withheld information from them when signing the lease. they did also ask me to pay fees to move but their attorney claims they did not.

Their lawyer knows or should know they cannot discriminate against you with an ESA and supporting letter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did you see the email from their lawyer?

Yes, I am not concerned, but if inclined to have a lawyer locally respond, you may find one locally on avvo.com

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am happy to email their lawyer back. i just wanted to be sure i wasn't going to dig a deeper hole, so thats why i wanted you (a lawyer) to give me the 'okay' to do so.so i will say.I am within my rights to stay in this apartment. I do not wish to transfer. I did not withhold information at lease signing as i did not even own the dog then. I got the ESA after signing the lease. I have attached a copy of the letter from a qualified therapist recommending i have an ESA. If your client takes issue with this, please let me know.or could you recommend something better?
Perfect! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. I will email them back now. if they do have an issue with my response. would the next recommendation be to contact a lawyer locally?
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney