If my mother is ever put in a nursing home we kids would…

If my mother is...

If my mother is ever put in a nursing home we kids would want to keep her savings. what should we do now to be sure we will have it if that happens?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NO.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would having her take her name off of her account be enough to ensure this?

3/12/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

How long before she will have to go into a nursing home?

.

What would you estimate her net worth to be?

.

.

thanks

Not any time soon.
She has 12,000 in savings.
No life insurance policy.

Ok, then as long as she gets that money out of her name at least 5 years before she might need nursing home care, it would be an exempt transfer and Medicaid couldn't penalize her and force her to use that money for her care. There is a 5 year "lookback period" for transfers and as long as she is outside that, Medicaid will have to pay for all care costs.

.

So the sooner she gets that money out of her name, the sooner the 5 year clock starts running..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

Please take a moment to rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my work.

.

.

Thanks much.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No,thank you!

You are very welcome.

Please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney