What do I do if a lady has moved in my hous and not paid the…

Customer Question
What do I do...

What do I do if a lady has moved in my hous and not paid the deposit nor the rent

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I drew up the lease and we both signed it but she says her money is still pending

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. This sounds like you may need to begin the eviction process. The eviction process applies to all landlords and tenants and the law does not concern itself whether the agreement is in writing or whether the tenant has paid rent. Eviction procedures also apply to tenants and subtenants as well. Regardless, although a landlord will have to go through eviction procedures, the landlord must pay special attention to some important legal concepts.

Generally, a landlord must follow procedural requirements when issuing an eviction notice. This means a tenant must receive written notice of the eviction before it is effective; in most cases it is at least 30 days. In addition, a landlord’s eviction is unlawful generally if they violated the implied warranty of habitability; the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; if the landlord has locked the tenant out; if the landlord has failed to uphold promises made in the agreement; or if the tenant has cured a problem such as past due rent. Plus, landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation under the Fair Housing Act. So, if you are going to evict, you must be very careful that you’re providing enough time and doing it for the right reasons. Regardless, if a tenant fails to pay the agreed upon rent, is at the end of their tenancy, or is not performing promises in the agreement, then you can evict. In TX, you can send a 3-day eviction notice to get her out of the house.

If you click here, you can see the variety of eviction notices that are available to you depending on your situation.

How else can I help you today?