What does this letter seem to be reffering to?

What does this letter seem...
What does this letter seem to be reffering to ?
Here
3/12/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It means that a process server is trying to serve legal documents on you. It appears to be a valid process server (https://napps.org/process-servers/new-york/new%20york/, scroll down to "New York, New York" and see "Alvin D Gonzales" to see the same name and phone number for the process server service.

The letter is saying that they're trying to serve you documents, and that if they're not able to that they're going to seek costs for the attempts, etc.... in serving you these documents. This is on top of potentially being liable for the underlying claim (depending on what that might be).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Hi there. I am sorry but I still don't understand. What type of documents? And what claim is that ?

Probably a lawsuit. A process server gives you documents (generally called a "petition" or a "pleading") that is filed with the courts. You then can file an "answer" to the petition or pleading to give your legal defense to the claim. But basically this processor server is saying that he was hired by the plaintiff in some legal case to give you legal notice of the claim and an opportunity to defend yourself. If you don't, the court can order a "default judgment" against you (you lose by default). Does that make sense?

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Do you think this might be related to doing short term rentals in NYC (in other terms Airbnb)?

I honestly have no idea. All it means is that a process server is trying to contact you in regards ***** ***** of legal documents. It COULD have to do with that, but it does not say one way or the other.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney