Gm i need help filing an answer my wife got served for a…

Customer Question
Gm my name is...

Gm my name is ***** ***** i need help filing an answer my wife got served for a medical bill that ins. co. didn't pay i offered to settle and they took original bill approx. $450 and now want $1500 and are not willing to negotiate
thx. in advance
Rey

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Las vegas nv

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We haven't responded yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all i think

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Do you owe that amount? In other words, is it a legitimate medical bill?

no ins. failed to pay that bill but acknowledge that it was theirs
drs office is no longer in business and bill is from 2013
i tried to negotiate a settlement and they want full payment

Not quite sure what you mean by the fact that insurance "acknowledge[d] that it was theirs"... insurance doesn't have its own bills. Either it was a bill that was your or it wasn't. But the bill wouldn't *belong* to insurance... and if you fail to pay then you can be sued for that amount. Does that make sense? They're not required to settle for some amount less than the amount that is owed.

we had double coverage at the time and the bill is ins. co. we spoke to ins. co. and they said they failed to pay it for whatever reason their not disputing that and i offered to pay $642 which is what we are being sued for but since being served the balance is now $1500 so i want to contest the bill.
and my wifes signature is on a form from 2015 and bill is from 2013 i would be fine with paying original amount but am not gonna pay a collection service twice that or more so i need to know how to respond to suit
i dont think they ever reached out to us to resolve and took it sttaight to a suit
what is your suggestion on best way to handle this i reached out to them in good faith and they are not willing to negotiate and are trying to strong arm me

You have a couple of options… If you can find out who originally held the bill and how to get a hold of them you can see if you can negotiate with them. Alternatively you can try to negotiate with the insurance company. If they won’t negotiate with you you must respond to the suit. Since this is a very old bill you would need to explain why you haven’t addressed it for five years because undoubtedly all the extra fees are legal fees that wouldn’t have been incurred if the bill has been addressed sooner

we didn't address it cause we didn't know about it and dr. closed their practice so no way to reach them is their a cap on "reasonable attorney fees" and bill was obviously sold to a collection agency who doesn't want to settle

There is no cap on “reasonable” attorneys fees (it’s a reasonableness standard) but $1000 to $2000 is not unusual with attorneys fees by any means.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

not yet still trying to figure out best course of action