My wife checked herself into an inpatient mental health

My wife checked herself...

My wife checked herself into an inpatient mental health facility but then decided that she does not wish to stay. She is not being allowed to leave, and legal obligation to keep her is being cited. What recourse do we have to get her out today?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I think the intake process is complete.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

The way it works is that after someone voluntarily checks them in they can generally check themselves out unless the physician evaluating them determines that they should be held for further evaluation under a 72 hour hold - whether b/c they're a danger to themselves or to others and that's what seems to be the case with your wife.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
No physician has evaluated her.
Phone call session started

I got your phone call request. I just have one person ahead of you and then I'll be call you. It shouldn't be longer than 30 minutes.

OK.