I am looking for advice on my employment contract. I have…

I am looking for...

I am looking for advice on my ***** ***** employment contract. I have been paid by the firm to receive my securities licenses, but want to use them elsewhere. Contract states that once I receive my "can sell" date, if I use the licenses or remain in the industry within the first three years, they can come after me for $75k in assumptive training costs. I have not received my "can sell" date at this time, nor will I be receiving it.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My U-4 has been updated, and my licenses have been deactivated/unregistered due to my official resignation from ***** *****' financial advisor onboarding program.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if my situation of not receiving my can sell date will provide any effect of reducing or eliminating repaying training costs

3/12/2018
Michael Bradley

in my opinion if the contract you entered specifically states that the 3 year triggers upon receipt of your can sell date and you will

never receive that date, then the 3 year will not trigger and they can not recoup any money

Ok thanks Michael. I'll include the full clause in quotes below so we can be sure that it still hold water. Let me know your thoughts." Upon execution of this agreement and receipt of your can sell date from ***** *****, You will be a financial adviser of ***** *****. If within 3 years after receipt of your can sell date, Your employment with ***** ***** is terminated by you or by ***** *****, you maintain registration of your license with FINRA and accept employment with any entity as either an employee or independent contractor engaged in the sale of securities and insurance business, you agreed to reimburse ***** ***** the reasonable cost of the training ***** ***** has provided you including, but not limited to, the cost of the selection and hiring."In my situation, I will be using my securities licenses elsewhere and will be re-registered with that firm. ***** ***** paid me to study for these licenses as part of their training costs. Do you think that not getting my can sell date would be irrelevant to them as they paid me while I studied for these licenses?

in my opinion if they find out you are somewhere else they may try to go after you

I do think you have wiggle room since you will not be getting a can sell date from ***** *****

your new employer maybe able to help as well as they probably deal with these issues as well

these non compete clauses do not normally hold water in the court system since courts do not like keeping people in

situations they do not want to be in, for you employed by ***** *****

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 25 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "Michael Bradley ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Michael Bradley