I'm looking to ask a lawyer familiar with Inheritance

Customer Question
I'm looking to ask...

I'm looking to ask a lawyer familiar with Inheritance circumstances pertaining to debt of the deceased etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In terms of?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I have an account with you. how do I log in

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your legal question please?

(meanwhile if you need assistance logging in please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/help)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I am inquiring as to what my amount of responsibility is for my fathers remaining debts upon his passing. The is an inheritance that will be distributed amongst three children and a widow. Do the debts need to be paid because there is life insurance policies that will be paid out ? what is the normal step of procedures when this happens.

My sympathies for your family's loss.

While the estate itself is liable for the decedent's debt, the heirs are not personally liable. So for example if the estate is insolvent or does not have sufficient assets to pay the debt, the creditors cannot go after the heirs; they often try to as many people are not aware of their rights; but an obligation to pay a third party debt is only imposed if the person willingly accepts this (ie cosigning on a loan).

While the estate is liable for debt, this does not include property that passes outside of probate such as life insurance proceeds.

A spouse can be liable for the necessities of life-medical care, for example; but not for other charges unless they are joint debtors.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer