During an operation on my left eye...one of five muscles was…

Customer Question
During an operation on...

During an operation on my left eye...one of five muscles was severed...resulting in double vision.....

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, not as yet.....statute of limitations is two years.....this occurred in July of 2016

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am due to have corrective surgery in April.......surgery has a 75% success rate only.....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am terribly sorry to hear this.

That sounds horribly painful.

Medical malpractice is based on the common law doctrine of negligence. The plaintiff must prove the following elements:

1) That a duty or specific standard of care was owed (generally so for a physician)
(2) That the duty or standard of care was breached in some manner by the physician
(3) The breach caused damages to the patient (i.e. additional physical injury)
(4) The patient suffered as a result of such negligence.

Generally the plaintiff is entitled to additional medical costs reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused by the negligence; pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, punitive damages if the court determines appropriate.

Many attorneys will take such cases on a contingency fee basis; please see:

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/resources/law_issues_for_consumers/lawyerfees_contingent.html

I own a business in which my participation has been limited ..executing leases ....etc............I cannot drive due to double vision.......difficulty gageing depth ........eye is regularly irritated....

Information such as that would go to pain and suffering and quality of life issues; the attorney would likely hire an expert witness to help determine just compensation.

Hopefully further surgery will correct or at least minimize the pain and discomfort.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.