I need to ask a question about child support. California.

Customer Question
I need to ask...

I need to ask a question about child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes there is already an order in place

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

you, but you will be live on the phone with me in about 30 minutes.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I have a 15 year old son who I receive child support for. My son is totally disabled. He cannot walk, talk, or see. I was recently told that children who are unable to care for themselves after the age of 18 can still receive child support. Is this a fact? I emailed child support and they said I would have to refer to social security. Can I please have some insight on this matter.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The answer to your first question is yes, the court can award continuing support for a disabled child is over the age of 18. They can order it indefinitely if the child is going to have ongoing needs that turning into an adult will not cure (e.g. asthma is something that is a disability, but often repairs itself by the time the child is 18 years old).

Your child may also qualify for Social Security as well if he is disabled and is under 18. The social security administration will consider your income and his disability in making a determination, but it is possible for you to get him what he needs. I would put down the entire process, but it's easier if you click here to find out more about the process and whether he qualifies.

How else can I help you today about this?

Thank you for responding so quickly. My son used to get social security but my income increased so he no longer qualifies for it. When I contacted child support they told me I would have to get social security after the age of 18 as if it was a "either or" situation. So essentially, I can continue to collect child support and collect social security when he is 18? My apologies if this question seems redundant. I just want to be sure I understand correctly.
your child support amounts may be reduced by his SSI, but it's usually not either/or. Regardless, he can still receive both, but you need to make the appropriate requests.
Did you have any other questions for me? If not, were you satisfied with my service today? Just write back and let me know:-)