I was involved in a accident involving afire truck. Florida…

So i was involved...

So i was involved in a accident involving afire truck

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Florida 2007

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes a police report was filed yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is fine Ok would i be able to connect to the lawyer instantly?

3/12/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your question please?

Hello , I am going to send you photos of what happened and then explain
Yea i t would be easier but i do not have $59
Ok so i was driving looking for parking and i was hit by a fire truck
There was no room for the fire truck to make the turn into the parking lot ,thus he hit me
The driver was not on a emergency because fire sirens were not on
the police came made a report and said no one is at fault for the accident which i do not agree with but i did not want to make a scene
I have told my insurance company about what happened and filed a claim with them ,but unfortunately i do not have collision coverage
What can I do next ?
Hello are u still there ?

Thank you;

hopefully there were no personal injuries.

Essentially the police are not the final arbiter of fault.

A plaintiff may sue another party for negligence if the defendant fails to act with due care.

So essentially the elements of negligence require showing that the defendant's failure to exercise due care resulting in economic harm or injury to the plaintiff and that this harm was reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused by the defendant's negligence.

A complaint may be filed in small claims -

yes, I'm still typing-one moment please.

if the damages are less than $5,000; please see:

http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml

Otherwise general civil court would be appropriate.

Ok ,yes there were no injuries
I went to a paint shop and the damages amount to less than $
5000
Is taking this directly to civil court my only option? Or can I contact the broward sheriffs office who own the fire truck and just ask for compensation for the damages caused ?

It is possible to send a demand letter and often that is done with attachments (ie photos showing damage, a copy of the estimates etc)

Then if there is no satisfactory resolution one may proceed by filing a lawsuit.

Ok how do i go about sending a demand letter in this situation. Is there a form I have fill out ?

It is a custom drafted letter stating for example the date of the accident, the reasons why the plaintiff feels the defendant is responsible, the amount of damages requested.

It is best to send registered mail so there is proof of sending so it shows the court the plaintiff made a good faith attempt to settle out of court.

ok ,and once that is done and they decide to refuse I can then take it to civil court if I wanted ?

Yes, that is correct.

The letter must be sent to the Fl Division of Risk management and any legal proceeding must be initiated within 3 years from the date of the incident although the sooner the process is initiated the better (so that information is still fresh).

I got you . I attached a form that I found would this be sufficient for me to send to give to them
http://www.broward.org/RiskManagement/Pages/Liability.aspx
This is where i found it

Yes, assuming that is the county at issue that would be the proper form.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Ok I am going to fill that out now and yes this is the form for the right county
Ok I think I should be ok now . Thank you