My husband is 72 and finally retired for the 3rd time in Aug…

Customer Question
My husband is 72 and...
My husband is 72 and finally retired for the 3rd time in Aug 07. He had a fairly large income from his company and also draws social security , has a monthly pension
check as well as a fairly lrg retirement from the air force . He also has close to $100,000. In a 401k which of course I have no access to . He could spend it all , draw it all out and put it in his daughters name and I’d never even know it . I will be 68 in December and have a very small income from disability. My husband made many promises prior to the marriage but none of them were kept . I know nothing about our finances , I don’t know to what financial institute his wages went to but I’m sure my name is ***** ***** the account unless “by chance” he made me beneficiary if were to die but I’m not even sure of that . He refused to take out any life insurance to take care of me in his absence even knowing that I will have no income or benefits other than my small income . I would not be able to keep anything as I could never make the payments. Even though he could pay for things outright with his money he finances everything knowing I’d loose it all if he died . I have gone along with this in the blind faith that he has he has made financial arrangements on behalf in case of his death but I have never seen any proof of that . He was giving me an allowance of $800 per month and with that I pay all of my bills , medication, buy birthday & Christmas gifts for my children and grandchildren. I also pay for or at least help them with airfare so they can visit or so I can go back to KS to visit them . When he retired he bought a new travel trailer and truck as he plans to travel now . When he did this he took $400 of my allowance saying he needed it to make the payments on them . Now I’m trying to pay for a $6000 dental surgery/ new dentures , our furniture I bought and all of the rest of my bills on $400 less a month . He sees that I’m struggling to do this each month but still refuses to restore my previous allowance amount . I’m very angry over this as I sit and watch him buy anything he wants while I’m now cutting my own hair . Im at the age now that I can no longer trust my future to him and the only way I’ll ever get anything from him is if I file for a divorce.. we have been married for 8 years and I’m afraid that due to the length of our marriage I wouldn’t be awarded anything and I’d only put myself in a worse position. Can you please give me some advice as to what is the best thing I can do in my position so I don’t end up in the street with no vehicle should he die . He’s in good heath so I don’t look for that to happen anytime soon . In fact I will probably die long before he does . I just don’t know how long I can continue to live with all of these uncertainties. Two of my doctors have told me I must be as stress free as possible because my heath is beginning to suffer . Help please . Sandra in Florida
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I'm terribly sorry to hear this;

fortunately FL has what is called the "elective share" which is designed precisely to protect spouses. Basically the surviving spouse is entitled to 30% of the decedent's assets per the following statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0732/Sections/0732.2075.html

This is designed to ensure that one spouse cannot disinherit another, as that is against public policy.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.