If you ask someone to write a grad school recommendation and…

Customer Question
If you ask someone...

If you ask someone to write a grad school recommendation and they refuse must they keep the request confidential...any recourse if they don't?

Lawyer's Assistant: We keep all your personally identifiable information confidential and even have people that double check to make sure something doesn't slip through. Your question goes out to the Lawyer's and then gets published with the answer to help others with similar problems.

Where do you find the answer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in PA, the person who denied the request is in MI. The school is in PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

1

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just inquiring in case the situation arises.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This isn't a situation where there would be any duty of confidentiality. It isn't a relationship like an attorney, doctor or clergy. It is just a request for a recommendation.. So the only thing the person who requested the recommendation could do is simply ask the other person to keep the matter confidential. But the other person wouldn't have any legal duty to do so if they chose not to..

.

So, no, since there is no duty here, there is no recourse if they don't keep the request to themselves..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much