I had a verbal agreemant by our roomate that i was to pay…

Customer Question
I had a verbal...

I had a verbal agreemant by our roomate that i was to pay only the cable bill , our 3rd roommate was a witness to this and all parties understood. She is now trying to take us to small claims for rent and electricity. Would our verbal agreement be admissable in court ? We live in oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Yes, the verbal agreement is admissible in court. However, you would need to bring your 3rd roommate with you to the trial to support your claim regarding the verbal agreement.

there is no way she can then say that we owe her for back rent. She says its pretty much a given that i owe it because i live here and verbal agreements dont stand in court in oklahoma

If there is no written contract between you and her, then she is claiming a verbal contract as well. So her argument does not make sense.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!